June 1-2 at Vango.
The Ontario Youth Provincials have dropped, and are soon!
June 1-2 at Vango.
Each year, we invite parents/adult family members to join us for a team tournament in order to experience what the athletes do each and every week. The format is pretty simple, we place you in teams against your athlete, they beat you badly and then you have to console that a 12 year old just out duelled you with some cold "pops" at a nearby establishment.
This year's edition of the adult tournament will be on a weekday (all the weekends are taken with club events) and will be Tuesday, May 21st, starting at 6:30. After, we will decamp to Jobsite brewery for those inclined.
If you are so inclined - please let us know so we can make sure there is enough equipment of adult (ah, politely) size. There is a cost, we do need to insure you. It is $5 per person.
We are restricting this to adults over the age of 16, and you must let us know in advance. We may even provide some Epsom salts for afterwards.
Each year, we have an overall club championship followed by a series (two) of tiered championships recognizing our athletes along the development curve.
The Club Championship will take place on June 2nd, starting at 10 am. Everyone is welcome, and it is a tournament in the normal fashion with one exception - the finals will take place at the end of season BBQ on June 23rd.
We will remove, at least, the top 4 fencers for the second tier of championships the following week (June 9th) for the D'artagnan Series. The week following, another cull of the top placed fencers, results in our final series - the Inigo Montoya series on the 16th of June.
In each case, the finalists will fence on the 23rd of June.
Each week starts at 10 am in order to finish on time.
Our y10 and under group will also have their own tournament on the 16th of June.
We will end the season with a BBQ - on the 23rd and the finals - at 1 pm for everyone (families and friends come as well). The cost for tournament and food is $10 per person (if fencing) or $7 if not fencing (e.g, a family member or guest).
Please mark the calendars accordingly, and let the coaches know if you are going to be absent at any time during the cycle on the Sundays.
The coaches and Board wish you all a happy holiday season - Passover, Easter or just family time - and remind you that there is NO fencing on Saturday or Sunday this week at all. Training resumes to its usual schedule next week on Tuesday evening.
1. The equipment order is a go, and we have placed it accordingly. Those who contacted us will receive an invoice in the next week, and we ask that you pay as promptly as possible. We will get the gear over the weekend of the 17th of May to be distributed that week.
2. Vango Young Tigers: See askfred if you are interested in attending.
3.Ralf Bissdorf - want to train with an Olympic medallist? World number 1? Ralf Bissdort has a one evening athlete camp 26th of April at our club. You can register for the evening on the OFA website (it is not run by us). And you should be familiar with the OFA website in any event, so check it out.
4. Summer Camps: Dates are posted, please see our website and check our financial policy.
5. Year End: May 1st is our fiscal year end. Stayed tuned.
Spring fever has us in its grips...
Equipment: We almost have enough people to justify a purchase from our Cdn source - if you are in need of equipment and planning on purchase, please consider this unique one time offer. It is rare to see prices so low, and without any shipping or duty costs. I would anticipate having the gear in mid-May if we make the order as we will pick it up at the Nationals in Quebec City.
Vango Young Tigers: This is a Y8 to y14 event, and one of the rare under 12 events in fencing, nearish in Toronto. Please consider participating. Unfortunately, it also coincides with Ralf Bissdorf being in town for a coaching clinic, and this may impact the coaching support of the tournament. Details are here:
Easter Sunday: We close the club for Easter Sunday.
Do something different this summer- learn to fence! We have camps for ages 6-16. Register here!
Register early to avoid disappointment! There are two days of fencing camps available, as well as a day of Chinese martial arts (register directly with PaKua London). Detailson our Programs - Camps page.
(If you are not yet on TeamSnap, please join!)
There are a few announcements this week:
1. Winter weather - As you will note, we have had some very difficult weather these past weeks and likely more to come. Please use caution on travelling, and understand that inclement weather can cause club cancelations so we will alert you to teamsnap asap in the case of missed trainings. Weather related trainings are generally not made up, except in the natural calendar.
2. Illness - It is also the season for illness - please keep your athlete home if they are under the weather, it is better for all.
3. Trainings are normal this week with the exception of the elite 5-7 Thursday and the 9-11 Saturday trainings as Coach Marks is way for the Washington Capital Clash. There is training with Coach Gareth on Sunday from 10-1 pm as normal.
SFO wishes to welcome Brock, Adrienne and Quinn as they join in our programs! Glad to have you in the club!
We'd also like to congratulate Anna and Nathan as they move onto the competitive team! Well done, athletes!
Just a few notes, and reminders:
As we have hit the inclement weather part of the year, weather may cancel training. SFO will try to anticipate as much as possible (and this may mean blowing a call) but do remember safety of our families is paramount. We will use the alert in Teamsnap if winter makes it impossible for training.
All training, including footwork Saturday, is as usual this week.
We have been invited, once again, to a multi-club practise at Renaissance Fencing Club on January 29th. If interested, please see:
Our moms taught us to share. Let us know if you have news to share too.