- Nov 26: Thanks to all who attended the Boston Pizza fundraiser, and to Shawn Davies for leading the charge. We raised nearly enough to purchase a second wireless system so look for it in the new year.
- Sunday Dec 2: All weekday trainings are as per usual this week but there is no Saturday class. Also, Sunday's competitive class will start at 1 pm due to Coach Marks being in Chicago for a Superyouth tournament.
- Sunday, Dec 16: w:e will be holding our white elephant gift party, so watch out for this little Hannukamas or Chrismakkah event.
- Nov 24-25: This past weekend several athletes participated in the Vango Young Dragons event, and SFO athletes brought home 8 medals. (Not all results were posted.) See some photos on the photos page; thanks to the parents who submitted them!
- Y8 mixed foil: Declan Johnson and Ashley Davies 3rd
- Y8 women's foil: Ashley Davies 2nd
- Y8 Men's foil: Declan Johnson 2nd
- Y10 men's foil: Eric Cao unknown
- Y12 men's foil: Spencer Orr, 1st
- Y12 women's foil: Ellie Davies 5th
- Y14 men's foil: Greg Weise 1st, Blake DeGroot 3rd, Spencer Orr 3rd, Euan Peterson unknown
- Y14 women's foil: Ellie Davies 5th.
All trainings are as usual this week, despite Coach Darren being at Vango on Sat/Sunday. Coach Gareth will take the competitive and elite training on Sunday 10-1 pm. In other words, come because it is a good chance to bout with him as well as train as per usual.
Remember the Boston Pizza Party is Monday, tickets in advance or at door - let Shawn Davies know asap. Starts at 5 and the food keeps coming.
A Very good weekend for SFO: 2 silver, three bronze and 5 top 12 results, and a few first time-evers.
Y12 men: 6th Orr; 27th Bernard; and May 29th.
Y12 women: 2nd Davies
Y14 men: Wiese 3rd, DeGroot 9th; Orr 11th and Peterson 25th.
Y14 women: 13th Davies, 25th Lang.
Cadet men: 2nd White-Roy; Wiese 7th and DeGroot 12th.
Jnr men: White-Roy 3rd, Quong 16th, and Wiese 21st.
Senior men: Marks 5th; and White-Roy 13th.
Veteran's men: Bell 3rd
ALERT due to the heavier than expected snowfall, coach D has cancelled training tonight. Stay safe, everyone.
A reminder that there are no fencing classes the weekend of Nov 17-18 as most fencers and all coaches will be at the Brock Open tournament in St. Catherines.
Minifence makeup classes for this weekend and the Sunday missed for Thanksgiving are schedules for Dec 2 and 9.
Our Boston Pizza Booster Party is Monday, Nov 26. See parent rep Shawn Davies for tickets; he'll be at the club starting Nov 11. Tickets cost $20/adult, $10/child under 12 - all you can eat pasta, pizza, those spicy chip things. There will be door prizes and raffles! It's always a lot of fun, and a great opportunity to meet everyone and generate some extra funds for the club.
Just a reminder as we ramp up the tournament season, that SFO requires all parents to participate in the Respect in Sport Parental training. Please finish up, or start if you have not. This training ensures that we all, from coach, athlete and parent/family member, know the expectations of the club regarding fair play and communication.
All trainings this week are as usual, except for Oct 31 - no training for pre-elites, have a happy and safe Halloween. And thank-you for adjusting schedules for tournament absences.
Individual successes are all of the athletes successes at SFO. Every bout, every care in training, every decision to work hard and stimulate success from our beginners to our high performance athletes looking to make Team Canada builds everyone else. We are as strong as our newest athlete. Every medal, every top 8 and every success is a group success. Thank you to all the athletes who take seriously the training, have fun in getting better and enjoy the sensation of expressing healthy active bodies and minds.
Over the last weeks, some of our athletes have been travelling with great results:
Clearly, the athletes are doing something correct!
Several Tournaments have dropped, please visit the OFA events page for a listing of current ones. Newly opened include the Newmarket Challenge (senior and y14) and the Brock Open, although it appears to have issues with its website.
Junior Men's Foil: White-Roy finishes just out of the medals in 5th
Senior Men's Foil: White-Roy finishes 30th
Cadet Men's Foil: DeGroot finishes 23, Wiese finishes 20th, White-Roy earns bronze
To get these announcements first, join us on TeamSnap!
Just a few announcements this week:
1. Sunday 28th training for competitive team starts at 1 pm with the beginner group as Coach Marks is away at the Canada Cup in Gatineau, Quebec.
2. Wednesday 31st pre-elite training is cancelled due to Halloween. Have fun and be safe.
3. The Vango Young Dragons and Brock Open are coach targeted tournaments, so please register or (in the case of Brock Open) look for the website to open registration.
Training is as usual for the reminder of the week, and next week.
The Brock Open is live, please register. You will need an OFA/CFF licence appropriate for your athlete.
For the 10 and under group, please register sooner than later as it is limited to 24.
We will be having a Boston Pizza booster party on Nov 26th. It’s a great time to meet everyone and enjoy some pizza and pasta. Cost is $20 for adults and $10 for kids under 12. This is also one of our fundraisers so feel free to bring along friends and family. Shawn Davies will have tickets for sale.
Our moms taught us to share. Let us know if you have news to share too.